Tuesday, January 4, 2011

On Pitt, Cook v. Smiz, Stan, and Bud Light....

Quick notes from the Mental In-Box....
  • The whole football coach thing at Pitt sure has been a nightmare. I won't rehash the mess that Mike Heywood has made of this. You all know the story. Who knows what kind of coach Heywood would have been at Pitt, he may have been the next Knute Rockne, for all anyone knows, but Pitt had to jettison him after what happened in South Bend over the weekend. On that, there is no doubt.
  • Ron Cook in the PG, and Bloggin' Bob Smizik on the PG Online, take two opposite views on Dave Wannstedt's decision to not coach Pitt in the WhoCares Bowl in Birmingham on Saturday. I can see both sides of the argument.
  • I'll also agree with Stan Savran - Wannstedt should have made this decision three weeks ago when he was canned, and not have dragged it out so long.
  • Speaking of Stan Savran, it is good news indeed that he is back on the local radio airwaves. 10:00 AM on 970 ESPN. Not sure what the call letters are now; I still think of it as WWSW, or, if I really want to go old school, "double-double."
  • The various Bud Light commercials that have run on NFL games throughout the season remain consistently funny and entertaining, no matter how many times you've seen them. Can't wait to see what they come up with for the Super Bowl.

1 comment:

  1. Regarding the Wannstedt coach or not to coach situation, the best take on it I have seen is on the John Steigerwald Blog at

    http://justwatchthegame.com/blog/leave-wanny-alone

    Not that I’m necessarily a fan of “Staggy”, (although I did just finish reading his book and there were some very entertaining stories in there) I think he nailed this one perfectly in his blog post.

    ReplyDelete