Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Thoughts



First and foremost, congratulations to the Green Bay Packers! The better team on the field last night in Dallas won, no doubt about it.

While it is disappointing that the Steelers didn't win, how can you feel bad that a team like the Packers won? As one of our guests commented last night, if any AFC team other than the Steelers were playing in that game last night, we'd all have been rooting for the Packers, right? And if it was an NFC team like the Cowboys or Redskins, how much worse would we be feeling today?

And as bad as I might be feeling over the Steelers loss today, I STILL do not feel a tiny fraction as bad as I felt when the Braves won Game 7 in 1992.

I have decided to skip talking about the game itself. We all know what transpired. I am also skipping the talk shows for a few days. I don't want to hear how stupid Mike Tomlin has become, and how lousy Ben and Troy have become in the space of the last 24 hours. However, a few comments as to the peripheral events surrounding the Super Bowl. As we had company yesterday (and Marilyn did come up with a dandy new sandwich-type dish for dinner!), it was not conducive to intense watching of things like pre-game, half-time, and commercials, but......

  • While I vowed not to do so, I did have the Fox pre-game on as background during the afternoon, and it was awful. Spreading out over 4 and 1/2 hours what could be done in thirty minutes, tops, is torturous.
  • I thought the Black-Eyed Peas were fun and the light show around the act was impressive, and it certainly was an improvement over geezers Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend from last year.
  • Someone suggested it last year on this blog, and I agree - in a Texas setting, Kenny Chesney would have been a better choice for the half-time show.
  • And I STILL say that an even better show would have been to wheel out a basketball hoop and have the Bud Light Daredevils do their thing!

Commercials. As I said, our setting yesterday didn't lend itself to really watch the commercials, but the general feeling in our house was that it was weak bunch of commercials. Some thoughts...

  • Loved the monster.com spot with the monkeys parking too close to the guy in the parking lot. Nothing beats monkeys in suits!!
  • Thought the Coke commercials were overproduced and not very good.
  • The highly hyped Budweiser western commercial was a letdown.
  • As expected, the Bud Light commercials, especially the "kitchen makeover" one, were very good.
  • The PepsiMax spot with the guy and the girl on the date revealing what they were thinking was pretty funny.
  • The E*Trade baby is always funny.
  • That's it. Nothing else is sticking with me 15 hours after the fact.

Now, so far as football is concerned, we can prepare ourselves for story after story about labor negotiations and lockouts. How fun will THAT be?

On the bright side, Spring Training opens one week from today. As a Facebook Friend said to me last night, "Let the Clint Hurdle Era begin!"

3 comments:

  1. The fact that the Green Bay Charities give $100,000 per year to St. Rosalia's School made the loss a little less painful.(at least to me) I could hear the Pgh accent when he (the coach) talked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to add this. My favorite commercial was the little boy in the Darth Vador costume. It was a VW Passat commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Susan on both of her (above) posts.
    As a Pug (dog) lover, I liked the Doritos ad. Also, liked the 2 miunte CHrysler/Detroit music video with Eminem in historic Fox Theater.

    Although, as Gman and Susan point out, the loss to Green Bay had "cushions", it's soooo tough to make it to the big game, and we were, ahem, getting used to winning it

    ReplyDelete