Saturday, May 7, 2011

"Enough Already"

While chatting with an old Highmark buddy, Al Bernardo, this week, he told me of an imaginary "club" that he and a co-worker have called the "EA Club." "EA" stands for "enough already" and the club is for people, places, things, or events that need to go away, because every time you hear of them you want to scream "enough already!!!!"

Now, I never will hesitate to steal someone else's good idea, so today I am instituting The Grandstander's version of the "Enough Already Club." I present a few early entrants into the EA Club, and I welcome all of your nominations and suggestions as well:




  • Cyril Wecht. Recent word is that Cyril wants his old job of county medical examiner back. How old is he now? Gotta be well into his 70's. Enough already, Dr. W.


  • Donald Trump. And I felt this way BEFORE this megalomaniac began flirting with running for President.


  • All celebrations involving the 1960 Pirates.


  • Come to think of it, any celebration or commemoration of any Pirates team that predates the 21st Century. Win something NOW, before we start resurrecting success from multiple generations past.


  • Mel Kiper, Jr.


  • Civic hand-wringing over what to do with the Civic Arena.


  • Referring to the City of Pittsburgh as "The 'burgh."


  • NFL Pre-Game shows featuring desk anchors who are constantly yukking it up.


Okay, these are a few early enshrinees into The Grandstander's EA Club. Your nominations are encouraged and welcomed. And thanks again to Al B. for the inspiration!

3 comments:

  1. Oooooh ... I want to join your EA Club. Two entries spring immediately to mind:
    First. The phrase - and I hear it all the time: "Deja Vu, all over again"!
    Deja Vu? OK; but, do people realize that the "all over again" suffix just rips off Yogi's unintentional redundancy, and isn't funny!
    Second, (and I kind of dislike defending Philadelphia's fan behavior), but after every fan incident in this city, the oh-so-clever broadcaster reminds us that "they threw snowballs at Santa Claus"! I've got to say it: "ENOUGH ALREADY"! Every big city's fans demonstrate horrible behavior, especially, Chicago and LA. Philly deserves every shot they earn, but "enough" tired reminders about some unhappy Eagle fans in the late 60's.

    GMan! Do these two qualify me for membership into the Enough Already Club? (I hope, I hope)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flo selling Progressive Insurance. - or whatever her name is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, I agree with some of yours and disagree with some. But that's what makes it fun. Here are a few of mine:

    1-The annoying guy who has the mike before the Pirate games announcing the 10 'first pitches' to be thrown. He also does those terrible in-game 'games' on the scoreboard. Who is this clown related to?
    2-Which brings me to...In-game games at PNC. You go to Fenway, Yankee and Wrigley and you don't see 'What's Derek Jeter's favorite cartoon character?' on the scoreboard. It's baseball. If I want games, contests, etc., I will go to a minor league game. Then again maybe that's what we have had here for the last 18 seasons.
    3-Those terrible Pirate commercials pretending to be Home Shopping Network ads. Try promoting the players, not all you can eat sections and fireworks.
    4-Root Sports insidious shots of 'fans' in the crowd at Pirate games. They show them sometime after every pitch. Show me the game. If I do go to a game, I'm not looking at the fans. I'm looking at the game. I think Root Sports is going to be a very bad idea for local sports.
    5-John Wehner. I thought a pre-requisite to be a broadcaster was that you actually could speak. I feel sorry for any fans sitting under the pressbox where this guy sits. They will nedd an umbrella. While we are at it, include Shannon Sharpe, Coach Cowher (BTW can we quit calling Bill this? He hasn't been a coach for years now.), Bill Fralic, Paul Steigerwald, & Chris Berman.
    6-Dan Potash. Please get rid of this Kermit the Frog sounding moron. 'Guys.'
    7-The 'White-outs' at Penguin playoff games. Funny how other teams do it. But they actually have the fans wear shirts that are the color of the home team. Not the color of their opponents. If you are too cheap to spring for non-white shirts, then don't bother with it.
    8-Having the weather on 2 minutes into the newscast. Then 'teasing' us til the REAL weather comes on 10 minutes later. When I was young, the weather came on the last 5 minutes of the newscast. Now we have 'severe weather' that tells us it may rain. Tell me what is was today and what it will be tomorrow. That's it.
    9-The HOV Lane. While once a good idea. It is no longer. Open it up to everyone. Maybe there won't be such traffic jams going into the city from the North.
    10-'Live' reports on the news. I love how the newscasts make a big deal out of these. They show the reporter 'live' somewhere a crime happened. He does his 15 second intro, then we see a minute and a half 'taped' report. Only to go back to the reporter for his 15 second wrapup. Lots of times on KDKA, the 'live' report is the reporter standing outside their studios at Gateway Center. Also the reporters are 'Live' for the 10PM newscast. Then still there for the 11PM newscast. They couldn't get back to the studio in that hour. One of these days one of these reporters will be shot on sight doing these 'live' remotes. Maybe that will put an end to them. We know they are 'live'. If they weren't, wouldn't they be dead?

    Thanks for allowing me to vent.
    The Legend

    ReplyDelete