Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Day at "The Pete"



Yesterday was not my first visit to Pitt's Petersen Events Center, but it was the first time I had been there for a Big East Conference game, and what a fun and terrific experience it was.


The place was sold out, and the atmosphere was nothing short of electric. The Oakland Zoo student section was amazing. They never sat down, never stopped cheering, and, in a real departure from current day crowd behaviour, they kept it clean and tasteful. Not sure if that is the case at every game, but it was refreshing yesterday. They were almost as much fun to watch as the game itself - a great 72-60 wire-to-wire Pitt win over ninth ranked Georgetown.


While I do not want to diminish the Big East, I can only imagine what that place will be like in a few years when schools like North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, and Maryland start paying regular visits.


One more comment on the crowd. I was surprised at how much of the crowd joined the Pitt band in singing the National Anthem, and I was most pleasantly surprised to see that the crowd waited until the Anthem was actually completed before that began to clap and cheer, rather than about 2/3 of the way through it, as seems to have become the custom at sporting events in recent years.



3 comments:

  1. Bob,

    You picked a good oneto make your first Big East game. The students who comprise the Oakland Zoo make it tough on incoming opponents. And the more highly ranked the opponent the more supercharged they seem to me. Your note regarding how the National Anthem is sung is right on too. But it strikes me then that you haven't been to a Pitt football game in a long time because the same thing happens there too. But you should see how the students chime in for Sweet Caroline at the end of the 3rd quarter at a football game these days My generation would have never done either. Apparently we taught our kids differently and I think that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been amazed with the National Anthem at the Pete. It is both beautiful and awe inspiring. Can't imagine why the local media has never reported this wonderful phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear jaygeekray,
    Please satisfy my curiousity....who are you and how did you find The Grandstander? I viewed your Johnsabroad blog, but am still clueless. I am delighted that you found The Grandstander and hope that you will become a regular reader/commentator.
    Many thanks....The Grandstander

    ReplyDelete