Monday, December 10, 2012

Bad Day at Heinz Field

Because I attended the CLO's production of "A Musical Christmas Carol" yesterday afternoon,  I knew I was not going to see the Steelers game "live".  I set the DVR for the game knowing that there would be two options for me later in the day.  One, I could fast forward through the game and enjoy the Steelers victory in about 45 minutes, or, two, in the unlikely event that they would lose to the crummy Chargers, I could immediately delete the entire thing from my DVR and avoid any aggravation such a game would cause.  Of course, by now you know which course I followed.

As we exited the Byham Theater around four o'clock, hundreds of Steelers fans were already streaming up Sixth Street, and I could tell by their demeanor and the looks on their faces that things must not have gone well for the local gridders.  It was when we got in the car and turned on the radio that the grim news was confirmed by Bourbon-Nosed Billy Hillgrove and Tunch.

(As an aside, I did hear the Steelers final touchdown, and the call was completely, totally blown by Hillgrove.  It was hilarious!)

Anyway, this loss to the Chargers, combined with earlier losses to bottom-feeders like the Raiders, Titans, and Browns confirm my pre-season thoughts: the Steelers are not a bad team, but they are not an especially good team either.  That's okay.  That's how the NFL is set-up.  The key to a successful franchise, which the Steelers have been, is how long you stay in the valleys before you get back to the peaks.

About the best summary of what went wrong with the Steelers yesterday was stated by Bloggin' Bob Smizik this morning.  Rather than restate everything, I recommend it to you here:

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/35172-being-unable-to-beat-bad-teams-definite-characteristic-of-bad-team


No comments:

Post a Comment