Saturday, September 21, 2013

I Wish I Didn't Care So Much.....

Like so many Pirates fans everywhere last night, I was sickened by how that 5-2 sure thing victory was snatched away from them by the Reds last night.  I turned the TV off as soon as the final out was recorded, and could not bring myself to post or even read other's posts on Facebook's Pirate Chat page, could barely settle myself to go to bed, and when I did fall asleep, I awoke at 2:15 and could not go back to sleep for the rest of the night/morning. Like I say, I wish I didn't care so much about a damned baseball team, but there you are.

I need to thank my breakfast buddies, Dan Bonk, Jim Haller, and Len Martin.  Our monthly breakfast, which took place this morning, served as therapy for this Pirate fan's tortured soul. Tony Soprano should have gotten such good help from Dr. Melfi!

Some random thoughts:

  • Some Cincinnati Reds batter had better take a fast ball in the ribs tonight from a Pirates pitcher, and early.
  • What was Dusty Baker arguing about with the umpire after McCutchen got plunked?
  • How can Baker insult our intelligence by saying that there was "no intent" to hit McCutchen?
  • The Jordy Mercer error was devastating, to be sure, but that only made the score 5-3, and there were two outs.  It was up to Mark Melancon to get that third out.  He didn't.
  • Liriano should have pitched the ninth, Barmes should have gone in as a defensive replacement...could haves, should haves.  Try to forget them.  It only makes it worse.
  • Before last night, I was not worried about the Washington Nationals.  Now, I am.
  • We find out tonight what kind of character the Pirates have.
  • As my buddy Mr. Haller put it, "tough loss, gotta shake it off and win one tonight."
By the way, when I returned from breakfast this morning, I finally did check out all the chatter on Pirate Chat from last night and this morning, and that itself served as therapy of a sort, twelve hours removed from end of the game.  I felt awful, I was upset, and I couldn't sleep, but I never felt suicidal.  Let's get a grip, fellas.

No comments:

Post a Comment