Sunday, September 29, 2013

And Now, The Wild Card Game

So the people who have been downplaying the Pirates all year - and you know who you are - are now finding themselves short of reasons to rip on them so now they are saying "Big deal. A one game wild card game.  It could all be over in one game."  Some people are even refusing to acknowledge that this game is a "real" playoff game.  To them, I say "Balderdash!!!"

Let me get this out there BEFORE the playoffs begin.  I like the whole concept of the One Game Wild Card Playoff Game (hereafter referred to as the OGWCPG), and I said so when it was first proposed, and if you don't believe me, read this:

http://grandstander.blogspot.com/2011/11/big-changes-in-major-league-baseball.html

Everything I said back in November of 2011 still applies today.  Would I feel bad if the Pirates were to lose on Tuesday night, which they won't? Damned right I would, but they knew the rules back on Opening Day, and they had their chances to win the division (as did Cincinnati, Cleveland, Texas, and Tampa Bay), but they didn't, so now they have to deal with it.  And let's face it, there should be some premium placed on winning your division outright, and like the NFL, MLB provides that to a greater, even though slight, extent than does the NHL and NBA, by making the wild cards play that OGWCPG.

Lots to rip Bud "Bud" Selig about, but I have to say that I really like this second wild card feature that was introduced in 2012.  Even if the Pirates lose on Tuesday - which they WON'T - you will not here me advocating for turning the WC round into a Best of Three series.

I can't wait until Tuesday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment