Thursday, March 21, 2019

More on Mehno

The recent death of John Mehno, noted in this space six days ago, prompted me to head to my book shelves and retrieve this little volume:


This book was written by John and was published in 2007.  It is great book chock full of fun little argument starters like.....
  • What were the Steelers five most memorable games?
  • Jack Ham or Jack Lambert?
  • Were the 1979 Pirates really a "family"?
  • How did the Pirates go from powerhouse to laughingstock?
  • Do Al Oliver and Dave Parker deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? (Die hard Bucco fans might not like his answer to this one,)
  • What were the Pirates worst signings?
  • Was Barry Bonds really that bad a guy?
  • Who was the Penguins best player before Mario Lemieux?
  • Was Forbes Field really that great?
  • Was Three Rivers Stadium really that bad?
  • Who were the best Pittsburgh teams that didn't win championships?
You get the idea, and there are 100 of these little gems in this book.  I'm not even sure if this book is still in print, but it really is a must for Pittsburgh sports fans.  Like I said, it is now a twelve year old book.  How great it would have been to have had John write a second volume that would include topics that have popped up on the 'Burgh Sports Scene since 2007.  He could probably have done whole thirty or forty questions on Neal Huntington and Pitt football coaches alone!

I treasure my copy of this book, which I got John to sign for me when he spoke to the Pittsburgh SABR Chapter back in 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment