Friday, March 1, 2019

To Absent Friends - Roy McHugh

Roy McHugh
1915 - 2019

This past Sunday, legendary Pittsburgh sportswriter, columnist, and editor, a veteran of both the Pittsburgh Press and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Roy McHugh died at the age of 103.  I, of course, remembered McHugh as a great, really great, sports columnist that I remember reading regularly as I was growing up.  

McHugh retired from the PG in 1983, and  this will give you a sense of how long ago that was. I heard about his death while listening to Ron Cook's and Joe Starkey's radio show on 93.7 on Monday morning.  Both of these guys are long time Pittsburgh newspapermen, but Cook said that he "barely knew" McHugh, and Starkey said that he had no memory at all of him, had never met or known him.  When I mentioned McHugh's death  on my Facebook feed on Monday, I realized that many of the people who saw that post would have had no idea as to just who Roy McHugh was.  You live a long life, and you end up surviving everyone who might remember you.  

In his obit for McHugh in the PG, Gene Collier told the story of going out to dinner with McHugh and some other friends in honor of McHugh's 100th birthday.  McHugh shrugged the whole thing off by saying, well, it is a milestone, but after this, there is only one milestone left.  Typical McHugh observation.

I would highly recommend that you read the obit written by Gene Collier.  It tells the Roy McHugh story far better than I can:


RIP Roy McHugh

No comments:

Post a Comment