Monday, December 30, 2019

The Absent Friends of 2019

In 2011, the second year of the existence of The Grandstander, I began doing "Absent Friends" postings.  These were write-ups that I did to note the deaths of people who were of interest to me.  Persons of consequence in our culture, or just some people who did some oddball things that made their lives noteworthy, if only to me.  I take the term absent friends from the late, great sportswriter Red Smith, who used it whenever he would write of some distinguished personage in the sports field who was no longer with us.

At times, I was kidded for writing "the obituary blog", but judging from comments that I have received over the years, these Absent Friends posts seem to be the most popular of all the posts that I do.  In all, including the thirty names listed below, I have paid tribute to 324 Absent Friends in this space.  I'm going to keep doing it, too.

Herewith, a final tribute to the Absent Friends of 2019.  If you missed it, or would like to revisit what I wrote of these folks, just type their name into the search box that appears in the upper left hand corner of this screen.

Carol Channing
Tony Mendez
Reggie Young
Bob Friend
Frank Robinson
Joe Gibbon
Stanley Donen
Peter Tork
Roy McHugh
Dan Jenkins
John Mehno
David White
Charles Van Doren
Harding Peterson
Gino Marchetti
Doris Day
Bart Starr
Bill Buckner
Arte Johnson
Sid Ramin
Jim Bouton
Harold Prince
Clifford Branch
Darryl Drake
Robert Freeman
Vera Clemente
Michael J. Pollard
Danny Aiello
Jerry Herman
Sue Lyon

I have no way to quantify this, but my memory tells me that the Absent Friend post that generated the most comments was the one on Doris Day.







No comments:

Post a Comment