Thursday, September 3, 2020

To Absent Friends - Tom Seaver

Tom Seaver
1944 - 2020



It had been known since early 2019 that Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver was suffering from dementia and had withdrawn from public life.  Nevertheless, the news of his death last night at the age of 75 still came as a great shock.

The picture above is how I will always think of Tom Seaver.  A fantastic competitor and perhaps the best pitcher of his generation.

  • 311-205 career W-L record
  • 2.86 career ERA
  • Five time twenty game winner
  • 231 complete games
  • 61 shut outs
  • 3,640 strike outs
  • Five time league leader in strike outs
  • Three time league leader in ERA
  • Twelve time All-Star

He played for the Mets at a time when they were among the Pirates' most bitter rivals, so I never much rooted for Tom Seaver, but in looking back, I'm honored and privileged to say that I saw him pitch.

I can't even begin to imagine how fans of the New York Mets must be feeling today.

This quote from Seaver concluded his full obituary in today's Washington Post:

“Pitching is a physical art form, I think,” he said in 1981. “I haven’t yet come close to finding anything as rewarding as pitching. Baseball is just so beautiful when it’s played right. God, but it can be a beautiful thing out there.”

RIP Tom Seaver.

 Tom Seaver pithing at Forbes Field


No comments:

Post a Comment