Saturday, August 13, 2022

Billy Joel - The Piano Man in Concert



About a forty minutes into the Billy Joel concert at PNC Park this past Thursday night, I leaned over to Linda and said simply, "This is a GREAT concert."  Indeed, this particular concert event immediately has achieved a ranking as one of the very best concerts that I have ever attended.

The 73 year old Long Islander, looking very cool in a dark suit, black shirt, and white patterned tie, performed a 27 song set list in a two-plus hours concert that was truly a wonderful experience for all who attended.  When someone asked me was I disappointed that he didn't  perform a particular song, I could honestly say, nope, he did every song that you, or at least I, wanted to hear.  

A word about stadium concerts.  Yes, when you are sitting in the third level of a baseball stadium, you can't see the performers on stage very well.  That is offset by a couple of factors.  One, the huge TV screens that surround a stage in a modern day concert brings the performers up close to you, regardless of where you are sitting.  Two, the acoustics and sound and PNC Park is amazing and excellent.  You are getting the full impact of the LIVE performance that you are experiencing.  Three, the setting at PNC Park is nothing short of spectacular, as you can see in the panoramic photo that I was able to take just prior to the beginning of the concert.

Two more full scale concerts are taking place at PNC Park this weekend, and I will be there again next month when Elton John is there as a part of his "Farewell Tour."  It's a terrific venue, and I can't wait for that one.   In the meantime, the memory of this fabulous Billy Joel concert will stay with me for as long as I have a memory.

I have included a link to the review and set list from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette HERE, and here a few other photos I took to try and capture the night.



The moon rises over The Burgh and Billy Joel
August 10, 2022





No comments:

Post a Comment