Monday, April 19, 2010

Civic Arena Memories

It is kind of sneaking up on us, but soon the Civic Arena - I never could get in the habit of calling it Mellon Arena - will be closing its doors for good. The attached column by ESPN 1250's Guy Junker brings this point home sharply:

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/espnradio1250/blog?id=4307015

This is prompting me to put on my thinking cap and come up with some personal Top Ten memories of the Arena. (I did a similar list for Three Rivers Stadium back in 2000, which was greeted with great ennui across the land.) I will be posting that before the week is out. In the meantime, should any of you wish to post your own memories of the Arena, please feel free to do so.

1 comment:

  1. Bob, it's been many years since I've been in the Civic Arena. However, one personal memory -
    your Brother Bill remembers the night - was January 24, 1963. Cassius Clay v. Charley Powell, a former NFL player. Clay (pre Muhammed Ali era) predicted that "Powell would be foul" in 3 rounds. Anyway, Bill, myself, and a multi-ethnic group of about 30 waited outside one of the fire doors until cooperative soul (man) on the inside popped the fire door bar, and we all scooted in to enjoy the fight. The Arena was an easy mark for "free entry" ... a welcoming venue for Hockey on a cold winter night, ticket or no ticket. Oh, Clay knocked Powell out in the third round. Bill, do I have my details right?

    ReplyDelete