Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Gem from Neal Huntington

Following on the good performances being turned in by pitcher Brad Lincoln in Indy, GM Neal insists that Lincoln will not be rushed to Pittsburgh, despite the lackluster (and I'm being kind here) performance by the Bucco starters. Here is what GM Neal said in the PG this morning:

"Bringing a guy up to the majors because he's better than what you have right now is absolutely the worst thing you can do."

Huh?

To be fair, GM Neal goes on to say that baseball is littered with the dead bodies of failed prospects who were rushed to the majors too soon. That may well be true, but why do we have to watch this lousy team pitch Ernest T. Bass and Brian Burres when the "future ace" of the staff is wowing them in Triple-A.

And how about Ryan Doumit's failure to block the plate - and, in fact, backing away from the plate - on that play at home early in the game last night. He deserves a ride on the bench for what is at best a dumb play and at worst a gutless one.

Good thing for the Pirates that I bought my 10 game plan before the season began. I'd be hard pressed to shell out dough for this bunch at this point.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Bob – Please don’t give up on your Pirates. You’ve got:
    - A most beautiful stadium (it’s my favorite MLB stadium - of the ones I’ve been to)
    - The game itself - even with the disappointing losses (it’s my very favorite sport to follow - of those played in North America)
    - Look at what my Rockies did in 2007
    I know it’s frustrating. Continue to enjoy the game for the game. Hang in there please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, thanks for the encourageing words. Don't worry though. 2010 is the 52nd season for me of going to Pirates games, so I'll never give up. It's ingrained in me. Perhaps I need a 12 Step Program :-)

    The frustration is not just the losing, it's HOW they are losing. I doubt that the Rockies in their expansion infancy played as poorly as this bunch is currently playing.

    But, hey, they won last night and ended all the streaks. Time to start drinking the Kool-Aid again.

    Thanks for responding, as always.

    ReplyDelete