Friday, October 22, 2010

Self-Righteous Steelers

So, the Post-Gazette headlines, on Page 1 no less, that Art Rooney II is coming to the defense of James Harrison, defends Harrison's hits last Sunday that led to $75,000 in fines, and warns the NFL that they may be going "overboard" in their reactions to the headhunting going on every Sunday.

I wonder what Art II's reaction would be if, say, Ray Lewis had delivered an identical hit to Mike Wallace.

Seriously, is there anyone on the Pittsburgh sports scene more self-righteous than the Rooney Family? I don't think so. And will anyone in the Pittsburgh sports media ever, EVER call them on it? I think people like Bob Pompeani and his media brethern would burn an American flag in Market Square before they would ever say anything critical of the Rooneys.

I can't come up with a baseball parallell to what Harrison did on Sunday, but can you imagine the heat Bob Nutting or Frank Coonelly would take if they defended a player the way Art II slurped up to Harrison in today's paper?

1 comment:

  1. Have to sgree with you on the Rooneys. As you know, I've written on this before.

    There is way out - I haven't seen a Steeler Game yet this year. I've had the option of 4th-5th Grade Football every Sunday afternoon.

    Baseball analogy - Pete Rose ruining Ray Fosse or some cathcher in the All-Star Game.

    ReplyDelete