Friday, May 4, 2012

Kent State, 42 Years Later

Forty-two years ago today, four students at Kent State University were killed at the hands of the Ohio National Guard.  Everyday, I get an email that lists birthdays for the date as well as an "on this date in history" recap.  Unbelievably, the events at Kent State were not noted on today's email.  What a shame.


My most vivid memory of that date was seeing how upset my Dad was when he came home from work that day.  I regret that I never spoke to him about his feelings that day, not in 1970, nor in any of the years following.  I suspect, however, that having two of his children being of college age at the time no doubt caused him to feel the way he did that day.  


There are some dates that just should not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment