Monday, July 8, 2019

Solving A Problem

When we took delivery of our brand new Chevrolet Equinox seven years ago, I was amazed that it contained this piece of new technology:  A USB port that allowed you to plug in your iPod or phone that would (a) keep that device fully charged, and  more importantly, (b) enable you to listen to music and podcasts that you had stored on your device through he car's audio system, a feature that has given me countless hours of pleasure over the years.  

Then, all of  sudden, about a month ago, this whole deal stopped working.  When I tried to play something from my phone, a message appeared on the screen that said "No Files Found".  Consultations with both my Chevy Service Department and the technicians at Apple produced the same conclusion:  Updates that kept getting pushed on to the phone's operating system eventually outstripped the technology in my now ancient seven year old car.

What to do?  I considered the following:
  • Listen just to the phone directly, which produced a "tinny" sound in the car.  Not satisfactory.
  • Listen to the phone using ear buds.  That would produce great sound, but not at all safe while driving.  Not a good option.
  • Buy a new iPhone.  I'm sure that this is what Apple would recommend, but don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks when I don't really need to do so.  Not a sane option.
  • Buy a new car.  I'm sure that this is what Chevrolet would recommend, but spend thirty-plus grand when I have a perfectly good car?  A totally insane option.
After discussing this knotty little conundrum with my 21 year old nephew Nathan, I did the following.

Went to Target and bought this:


A portable Bluetooth speaker (which sounds GREAT, btw)  that fits right into the cup holder.  

Twenty bucks.  

Problem Solved!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment