Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bob Feller

There is nothing that I can add to all that will be written and said about Bob Feller over the next few days. His record as both a Hall of Fame pitcher and as a war hero cannot be disputed, and may he rest in peace.

I am not of an age to have any memory of Feller as an active ballplayer, but my memory of him may be somewhat different than many you will hear about over the next few days. Life circumstances found me moving to and living in Cleveland from 1974-78. I had been traded to the American League for God's sake! Anyway, as I began following the Indians during my stay in that city, naturally, I became aware of Bob Feller. He was, and rightly so, revered in Cleveland, much like Pie Traynor was and Bill Mazeroski is here in Pittsburgh. But every time Feller spoke, I found him to come across as a bitter guy, always putting down the current day players, and always resentful of the money that guys were making "these days." I can even recall a quote from him wherein he stated how Marvin Miller had "ruined" the game. Rightly or wrongly, that is my memory of Bob Feller.

On the other side of the coin, I recall reading a lengthy feature article in Sports Illustrated a few years back that I found to be rather delightful. At the time, it was discovered that Feller had lived longer after his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame that any other member ever. In the story, he recounted his days as a player and in his post playing baseball life. As I said, the story was a delight. Maybe he mellowed a bit in his later years.

RIP Rapid Robert.

1 comment:

  1. There are other unflattering that you might have added. Congratulations on taking the higher ground.

    ReplyDelete