Friday, January 4, 2013

Pirates To Change Logo in 2014




I discovered yesterday that the Pirates are planning on changing their logo for the 2014 season (apparently, you need that much lead time with MLB to make such a change).  One blogger who goes by the name of "Kipper" is applauding this as he calls the current one, seen above as the 1997-2011 logo, the "McClatchy Logo" and feels that if they get rid of it, it will end the 20-going-on-21 year losing streak.  I didn't realize it was the logo's fault, and like a "Nutting Logo" is going to change the fortunes of the team.  Really?

By the way, I don't know why the image above features A.J. Burnett with an eye patch as the 2012 logo.  I think you are all astute enough to know that that is NOT an official logo.  Wish I could eliminate it, but this image is a good one in that it features all of the officially recognized logos in Pirates history, dating back to 1936.  Anyway, while I personally like the current Crossed Bats and Jolly Roger logo, I would hope that the team does not decide to resurrect a previous logo.  I'm all for something fresh and new, so I look forward to whatever is revealed for 2014, and I am starting to save my money for all of the new gear that I will have to buy as well.  

I also thought it might be fun to see how you rank the logos of the past.  My own top Three would be (1) the 1960-67 logo, (2) the current 1997-2013 logo, and (3) the 1946-59 logo.  My least favorite one, despite knowing the Bucs won two World Series under this logo, would be the Smiling Pirate of 1968-86.  I mean, really, who wants a smiling, happy-faced Pirate?

What do you all think?


No comments:

Post a Comment