Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Great 2013 Hamburger Quest, Part 2 - The Tilted Kilt

My Quest to find the Best Hamburger in Pittsburgh continued yesterday when, upon the recommendation of Fred Shugars (The Official Actuary of The Grandstander), we visited The Tilted Kilt on the North Shore.  Now, I now that the cynics among you are thinking, "yeah, sure, he was going there for the burgers".....


.....but I can assure you that the visit was really all about the burgers.  Hey, my wife was with me!!

As for the burger, it wasn't bad.  It was big - a 10 ounce patty.  I got the "classic cheeseburger" while Marilyn got one called the "French Dip Burger" that came with a cup of au jus  for dipping.  I never saw this offered with a hamburger, and I have to tell you, it was very tasty.  

Still, I think that chain restaurants, which by necessity are slaves to uniformity and mass production, are at a disadvantage to local, independent establishments.  So, after two visits in this Quest, the rankings are as follows:

  1. Tessaro's (Bloomfield)
  2. The Tilted Kilt
As for the the restaurant itself, this was my first visit to The Tilted Kilt.  Like many of those restaurants between the ball parks on the North Shore, it's huge, and caters to the sports crowd with about a thousand flat screen TV's throughout.  (We watched the first half of the Pitt-UConn game while dining.)  At lunch time on a Saturday with no ball game at PNC or Heinz, it was fairly empty, maybe a dozen or so patrons, with Marilyn being the only woman there.  The waitstaff were attired as pictured above, although not with quite the pulchritude as seen in the publicity photos.  Lots of tattoos, though.  I think that many of those young ladies are going to have a lot of regrets when they hit age 40 or so. 

The Quest continues and will be documented here.  Next in sight: Wingharts in Market Square and the Murray Avenue Grill in Squirrel Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment