Thursday, March 25, 2010

Blogging Threads


It has been noted that recent blog posts concerning a couple of masterpieces of American Cinema had been hijacked into discussions about, of all things, Professional Wrestling. One thing I know from reading blogs, and now posting blogs, is that you have no control of where the comments (or "threads" to use proper blogspeak) will lead. Who could have foreseen that the discussion of the Corleone Family saga would coincide with the death of grappler Baron Miguel Sicluna, and who would have thought that one of our west coast readers would have run with that little fact, but such is life in the blogosphere, and commentators are welcome to change the topic, as one did last night.


As for "Pretty Woman", well, I did enjoy that movie when I saw it, but it is not one that I watch again and again (unlike Mrs. Grandstander, who considers it one of her all time favorites). I figure, once you watch Richard Gere brood his way though one movie, why watch it again?


I will change topic to tell a story about a tour I did at the Heinz Museum yesterday. The group was about 20 middle school kids from the Arlington School in the City of Pittsburgh. As we were going through he George Washington exhibit, I noted the fact that the Father of our Country was also a slave owner. One young African-American boy said with a sad expression, "George Washington owned slaves? That's really disappointing." Not much I could add to that.

5 comments:

  1. Bob, since we're commenting on movies, Is there a better Father-Son movie than "A Bronx Tale"? (OK, maybe Field of Dreams).

    This 1993 gem from Chazz Palminteri (also starring Robert DeNiro) contains the classic line ... "I hate Bill Mazeroski". Have you seen it? Anybody? A GREAT movie!

    FYI, I posted my Granddaughter's picture as the "follower" above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BigPoppy -

    Have not seen "A Bronx Tale" but I like both DeNiro (who doesn't?) and Palminteri. He was great in Woody Allen's "Bullets over Broadway." (I am also a big Woody Allen fan.)

    When I got my first job out of college in 1974 with Met Life, I moved to Cleveland. As I was being introduced to all the people in the office, there was one "old guy" (he was probably about 38 at the time) who was from New York City. When I said that I was from Pittsburgh, he looked at me and said, "Pittsburgh? That f**king Mazeroski."

    As Michael Corleone said the Kay at Connie's wedding, "That's a true story."

    I will check out "A Bronx Tale."

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing...love the pic of the granddaughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also liked "A Bronx Tale". DeNiro's role cast him as a New York bus driver and, as you would guess, he was very believable. There was a grittiness that made the movie very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just requested "A Bronx Tale", from the library, and do you believe, I am the 5th person waiting, for the "one" copy, the library has.The "Big Poppy" (love the picture!), has stirred up interest in the movie. Not sure I'll be one of its' biggest fans though, from what I read on the library page; they did however, catagorize it as "Father - Son" genre.

    ReplyDelete