Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Caring Place


Marilyn and I had our first session last night with the family groups at The Caring Place last night. Marilyn is in the pre-school room and she has asked to be a one-on-one person with a three year old little boy. This is right up her alley and she is eating it up! I am in the middle room with six 5th and 6th graders, four girls and two boys. It went OK the first night and I think I'll do okay. One little girl is cracking me up. Very talkative. At the end of the hour, I look at the kids and said "Hey we're done for the night. Did the time seem like it went fast?" She looked at me and said. "not really." It was hard not to bust out laughing at that.

As we went through the volunteer training a few weeks ago, we were kind of overwhelmed at the idea of dealing with these kids, but after the first night, I think we'll be OK. What these kids are looking for is someone to talk with and to be with other kids who are dealing with the same issues.

We have been very lucky in our extended families to not have to deal with the issues of loss that these kids are. It will be a good feeling to think that we can help out these kids in some small way.

3 comments:

  1. Very commendable for both of you. Really.

    On to a housekeeping item. I see there are now two pictures of Susan in the group at the upper left of page.

    This may have been a Google fluke, or she may be trying to catch up with the number of silhouettes in the shade.

    Speaking of Silhouettes and Shade, where is Big Pappy and his sax when I need him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were very lucky in not experiencing death at a young age.
    Bill, the reason there are 2 pictures of me is due to the fact that I had to change my email address. I don't know how to remove one of them.

    ReplyDelete