Friday, May 20, 2011

To Absent Friends - Harmon Killebrew

As they say on PTI, a melancholy (and belated) Happy Trails to Baseball Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew, who passed away - very bravely, I might add - earlier this week.

Growing up in a National League city in the days before interleague play, ESPN, and the MLB Network, Harmon Killebrew, a career American Leaguer, was someone that you never got to see play very much, save for the All-Star Game and the 1965 World Series, but there can be no doubt that he was a giant among ballplayers. When he retired in the early 1970's, only three players had more career home runs than he - Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and Willie Mays. That's it; that's the list.

I loved seeing that the Twins embedded a picture of Killebrew beneath home plate at Target Field as part of their tribute to Killer.

RIP Harmon Killebrew.

In a related note, I saw nary a reference to Killebrew's passing among my various Facebook Friends this week. Only SABR and the Hall of Fame noted it on my page, yet today I have already seen four separate references to the death of Randy "Macho Man" Savage. Not sure what to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment