Sunday, September 11, 2011

Football Weekend...and a Baseball Item

As it happened, today was the Stonebrook Village picnic. Because of that, I knew that I was not going to be able to watch the Steelers-Ravens game. So, I set the DVR before I left with the idea that I would zip through the game tonight. Well, we did have a radio at the picnic shelter, so I was aware of how the game was unfolding.

I am happy to report that I came home with the knowledge that I have three hours of my life back, since I intend to delete that game without even giving it a glance. Since I saw very little other than the first quarter, and only heard bits and pieces on the radio, I can make no knowledgeable comment on it, other than saying that sometimes a blow out loss can be more easily overcome than a heartbreaking, last minute loss by a touchdown or a field goal. Just ask Notre Dame about that after their game with Michigan last night. No, there are no what-ifs and might-have-beens in a game like that. Just an old fashioned ass kicking that you can file away and forget.

Speaking of that Notre Dame - Michigan game....WOW. That was one amazing football game last night. In case you missed it, three touchdowns and three lead changes in the final 1:12 of the game. An absolutely amazing ball game. If you were rooting for ND, it was a crushing loss, but even that shouldn't lessen you appreciation for such a great ball game.

The only thing about that game that ticked me off was the post-game, on-the-field interview with Michigan coach Brady Hoke. Instead of being caught up in the euphoria of such a remarkable victory, he resorted to the worst kind of coach speak and talked about the mistakes his team made, and said how they all "still had a lot of work to do." Geez, Coach, way to stick a pin in the balloons of all of your players. What a horse's ass.

Pitt now stands at 2-0, although you wouldn't know it from listening to the talk show callers. I do have to say that a six point win over the University of Maine was probably not what Pitt was expecting when they scheduled this game. Things aren't going to get any easier, for the "high octane" Panthers, not even in the weak Big East. They do say that teams do get better as a season progresses. Let's hope so for the Panthers' sake.

In other news, Penn State gets drubbed by Alabama in Happy Valley yesterday. No surprise there, and the Joe Paterno rumblings go on and get louder and louder.

And in baseball news, the Pirates announce a three year contract extension for GM Neal Huntington. A coincidence that the Pirates make this rather important announcement on the day that the Steelers open their season against perhaps their biggest rival in recent years? I think not. The team celebrated this news by losing to the Marlins, which completed a three game sweep for Florida. The season is sixteen games away from being mercifully concluded. Will take more time to discuss the season, GM Neal, and other such matters in the days ahead and when the season concludes in Milwaukee. How appropriate that the Bucco season will conclude in their personal graveyard, Miller Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment