Sunday, September 11, 2011

They Say It's Your Birthday....

Yes, today I celebrate one of those milestone birthdays that everyone both looks forward to and dreads. I will paraphrase the late Billy Wilder here (although he was speaking on the occasion of turning 90), and say that I try to think of myself as being comfortably middle-aged, until I realize that I don't know of anyone who is 120 years old. Oh, well.

However, I would rather reflect on a couple of aphorisms of one of the 20th centuries great philosophers, Satchel Paige.

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

And perhaps, Satch's most famous.... "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you."

If you are looking for rules to live by, you could do a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment