Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bryce Harper Arrives



Back in June, 2009, Sports Illustrated  ran this cover story on 16 year old high school baseball player Bryce Harper, proclaiming him baseball's "Chosen One", much as they did with LeBron James a few years before.  I can remember reading the article and thinking, "what an arrogant, insufferable little pr**k this kid is", and, of course, his parents were stereotypical baseball stage parents of the worst kind.  No wonder the kid was such a jagoff.


I also remember thinking, "you know, I don't want to hope that anyone fails at what they choose to do with their life (so long as it's legal), but in this case, I really hope this kid fails."  


Of course, a year later, after the kid, his parents, and Scott Boras somehow pulled an end-around getting through high school and college, he, Harper, became the #1 overall pick in the MLB Entry Draft.  Nothing I have since read about Harper has given me any reason to change my initial judgement of him.  


Yesterday, the Washington Nationals announced that they were bring Harper, age 19, up to the big leagues, and he makes his debut in Los Angeles tonight against the Dodgers.


Now if Harper were with the Pirates, I'm sure I'd feel differently, but I'm still hoping that the kid bombs out.

1 comment:

  1. Why not tell us how you really feel about Harper! Ha, ha ---- I totally agree and have grown weary of these "chosen ones" in all areas of our society -- what ever happened to "go sit in the corner and shut up?" Those of us who were often told that order grew up knowing our place -- that continued into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete