Sunday, April 1, 2012

Kentucky, Kansas, and Other Thoughts

Cleaning out the Mental In-Box.....

  • Two terrific basketball games in the NCAA semis last night, made more so by the fact that a Kentucky win over Kansas tomorrow night would allow me to win the bracket pool in which I am entered.  Even a Kansas win would cause the Pool to be settled by the tie-breaker, so I am guaranteed second place, at least.  I have never done this well in one of these pools, so it is quite exciting.
  • Not that the Jayhawks didn't give me some anxious moments.  Seems like they were doing everything they could to not win that game last night.
  • To all who have been proclaiming Kentucky's Anthony Davis as the Player of the Year, all I can say is "wow, are you right!"  Watching him makes me think of watching Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton at UCLA back in the day.
  • The fact that the Pool in which I am entered is run by one of the most prestigious gaming organizations in all of Pennsylvania (and beyond) makes this all the more exciting!
  • Of course, said Pool is operated for amusement purposes only.
  • I followed my own DVR Alert message and watched "The Seven Year Itch" on Saturday night.  It had probably been well over 25 years since I had seen it.  All I can say is that it is at best an ordinary - very ordinary - comedy EXCEPT when Marilyn Monroe was on the screen.  Forget how she looked (as if you can forget how she looked!), but her performance was really great in that movie.  She elevated the material.  She really was extraordinary.
  • A friend has advised me that one sports book in Las Vegas has set the over/under for Pirates wins at 72.5 and Pedro Alvarez' home runs at 17.5.  I will take the Over, barely, on Pirate wins and, sadly, the Under on Pedro dingers.
  • How do you like Frank McCort?  Eight years ago, he buys one of the Crown Jewels of all of American sports, the L.A. Dodgers, for $400 million, proceeds to run them into the ground, then sells them this week for $2 billion.   Yes, that is billion with a "B".  Only in America.
  • The PG today is filled with stories about the 1992 National League Championship Series.  I presume because 2012 is the 20th Anniversary season of that ignominious, from a Pirates point of view, Series.  I can't say for sure, because I can never bring myself to read, watch or listen to anything about that Game Seven.  Seeing it as it happened in my living room that October night in 1992 was more than enough. WAY more than enough.
  • It's an interesting Leaderboard going into the final round of the Shell Houston Open this afternoon with Americans Hunter Mahan, Phil Mickelson, and Keegan Bradley within reach of the top spot in the final tune-up before next week's Masters (A Tradition Like No Other).  If not "must see TV", at least interesting TV viewing.
  • Speaking of The Masters (A Tradition Like No Other), at least one Loyal Reader out there will be glad to know that I plan on pasting the beautiful Augusta National logo front and center at least once in the coming week on both this blog and on Facebook.
  • For obvious reasons, I do not want to dwell upon that most embarrassing news story that came to light in Pittsburgh this past week, but I would recommend that you read Brian O'Neill's column in today's Post-Gazette.  As he usually does, O'Neill nails it! 
  • For all the sturm und drang  over the lousy Spring Training that Pedro Alvarez has been having, have you noticed that Neil Walker hasn't been setting the world on fire in Florida either?  Keep repeating after me "spring training stats are meaningless, spring training stats are meaningless....."
  • Looking for a great little local spot for breakfast or lunch?  Try Ye Allegheny Sandwich Shoppe on the North Side.
  • Coming within the next few days Pirates Opening Day commentary, a Masters (A Tradition Like No Other) prediction, some thoughts on Ben Hogan, and a DVR Alert with a baseball theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment