Friday, January 11, 2013

NFL Playoff Predictions - Part II

Before getting to my playoff predictions for the NFL Divisional Round games this weekend, let me recommend an article from this weeks Sports Illustrated (Alabama football on the cover).  It is the feature article at the end of the magazine call "Hello, My Name is Thomas, and I'm a Falcons Addict" by Thomas Lake.  In the article, author Lake recounts his lifetime, going back to 1991, of experiences as an Atlanta Falcons fan.  Even if you could not care less about the Falcons, this is a good read because, as Lake begins the article, he "could just as easily be writing about your favorite team.  You are loyal and unwavering.  Your team is your birthright, your fate, and you would never jump on anyone else's bandwagon.....Imagine our story, then, as a stand-in for yours - as an ode to a lifetime of hope and disappointment.  There is nothing more human than falling short."  Hey, us Pirates fans, we can relate!

I would also recommend Steve Rushin's "Point After" column on the last page.  Good stuff.

So, on to the predictions, short and sweet, after a solid 3-1 effort last weekend.  As I did last week, predictions will be largely based on the teams' quarterbacking strengths.

Baltimore Ravens vs. Denver Broncos

The Ravens win last week over the Colts was my only miss, but that ends in Denver on Saturday.  Andrew Luck could not take advantage of what has not been a great Ravens defense this season.  Peyton Manning will not have such poor luck tomorrow.   The BRONCOS to win fairly easily.  The big question:  Will Roger Goodell be on hand to give Ray Lewis a good-bye hug?

Green Bay Packers vs. San Francisco 49'ers

Aaron Rodgers vs. Colin Kapernick.  Need I say more?  Should be another easy win for the PACKERS.

All in all, a bad day for the Harbaugh Family.  A discount double-check, if you will.

Seattle Seahawks vs. Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons have to be the most underestimated, disrespected 13 win, Number One seeded team in recent NFL history, and I'm going to add to it.  Russell Wilson and the Seahawks just seem to be on a roll, so I'm calling for the SEAHAWKS  to keep it going and head to the NFC Championship game next week.  Although, I will say this, if I'm going to be wrong on any of my picks for the weekend, as I no doubt will be, perhaps this will be that game.

Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots

I am guessing that the Patriots will not undress Houston as badly as they did last month on Monday Night Football, but, really, does anyone think the Patriots will lose this one?  Maybe Tom Brady gets hurt in the first quarter, or maybe Gillette Stadium blows up like Heinz Field did in the Batman movie.  That's the only way the PATRIOTS lose this one.

As always, watch, but don't bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment