Tuesday, January 12, 2016

To Absent Friends - David Bowie


David Bowie
(1947-2016)

To be totally honest with you, I cannot say that I was a fan of David Bowie.  It's not that I disliked him, he just wasn't on my Musical Fan Radar.  However, that doesn't mean that I discount his enormous effect and influence on rock and pop music and pop culture in general, and because for that, the news of Bowie's death yesterday due to cancer at the too young age of 69 comes as a shock and is very sad.

I will leave it to others to analyze his musical contributions and his persona to the culture, and such opinions were and are all over Social Media yesterday and today, but this one particular posting on Facebook I found to be particularly touching.  It was a posting made by the College of Wooster and is was shared by my friend Matthew Algeo.  Here it is:


As the world remembers David Bowie, we also remember...a proud dad watching his son, Duncan Jones '95, graduate in the Oak Grove at Wooster. Our thoughts are with Duncan and his family today. (Photo credit: Mike Schenk)


Sometimes we forget, I think, that even famous mega-stars are human beings with families, just like everyone else.  I think that picture says a lot about David Bowie.

Anyway, let me close this out with a music video that Bowie made with Mick Jagger in conjunction with the Live Aid Concerts in 1985, "Dancing in the Streets".

RIP David Bowie.

No comments:

Post a Comment