Saturday, January 16, 2010

Divisional Playoff Predictions

After my scintillating 2-2 results last week, I know that you are all eagerly awaiting my predictions for this NFL Weekend. As always, watch, but don't bet!

Cardinals at Saints. After NO's 13-0 start, and the Cardinals explosion against Green Bay last week, this has all the earmarks of being the most entertaining game of the weekend. Every logical indicator tells you to pick New Orleans here - home team, Drew Brees - but I can't get that 0-3 finish to the season out of my mind. The Cardinals failure to play anything resembling championship defense last week also makes the Saints a logical pick, but I can't get that 0-3 finish to the season out of my mind. This is a pure hunch, but I'm gonna go with the Cardinals to last at least one more week in the Playoffs.

Ravens at Colts. Like many people, I didn't like the fact that the Colts turned the last two games of the season into exhibition games. History has shown that this philosophy has hurt Indy (see Steelers over Colts, Jan, 2006), and it is the one thing that prevents this from being an easy pick. Also, that Ravens defense is looking good. However, the QB match-up of an injured (?) Joe Flacco vs. Peyton Manning swings this pick. Colts to advance to the AFC Championship.

Cowboys at Vikings. I believe that the Brett Favre Fairly Tale comes to an end this weekend. I thought the Cowboys looked very strong against Philly last week, and I think that the momentum continues this Sunday. Most of the ESPN Talking Heads are going with the Vikings, so this is the game I am least sure of in my selections. I'm not happy about another week of Jerry Jones in the spotlight, but call it for the Cowboys in a close one.

Jets at Chargers. Easiest call of the week. Chargers over the Jets. Philip Rivers becomes the last in the Manning - Roethlisberger - Rivers Draft Class to make a post-season name for himself. How will Rex The Blowhard Ryan spin this one in the post-game press conference. How will the NYC Tabs put it in Monday morning's headlines? Should be fun to check that out.

Bonus Basketball Pick:
Monmouth Hawks at Robert Morris Colonials. I have no idea what kind of squad the Hawks bring with them from West Branch, NJ, but I'm going with the home team Colonials lead by guard Karon Abraham and shot-blocking forward Rob Robinson.

2 comments:

  1. Gutsy Grandstander picks two underdogs. Also vents some spleen on Rex Ryan.

    Hard to pick a rooting interest in Cowboys-Vikings. Pain in the butt QB vs pain in the butt owner.

    Rooting for Cards, Ravens, Chargers and No Choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May have been influenced by the way Game One unfolded, but could Fox have come up with any worse broadcasters. Who was the color guy? Terrible. Third-rate.

    ReplyDelete