Sunday, January 17, 2010

Licking My Wounds

Wow, The Grandstander sure took a beating (1-3) in the Playoff predictions. Insofar as the first three games went, there can be no doubt that better team in each instance won the game. As for the fourth game, well, with he score 7-3 late in the third quarter, I commented to Marilyn, "when a supposedly better team allows a supposedly inferior team stay close like this, they could be asking for trouble." Before you know it, the Jets intercept a pass deep in Charger territory, they score to go ahead, then they score again, and what you have is a game that is painfully reminiscent of the AFC Championship Game at Three Rivers way back when when those same Chargers beat the Steelers. Maybe Karma balanced the books for the Chargers today.

All I can say about my man Rex Ryan is that while he may be an insufferable blowhard, he apparently can "coach 'em up."

I will also say that as I watched the Chargers-Jets today, I found myself wondering how San Diego managed to win 11 games in a row, and I will tell those who rate Philip Rivers on equal footing, or even above, Ben Roethlisberger - what are you seeing that I'm not? Based on today's performance, I'm not impressed.

On the subject of my predictions, at least I got the Robert Morris win over Monmouth right. The Colonials now are in a three-way tie for first place, at 5-1, in the Northeast Conference. Brother Jim might want to check them out next Saturday night when RMU travels to Monmouth.

5 comments:

  1. Hey UB- As for your playoff picks, perhaps you should stick to your day job.... Oh yeah, you don't have a day job.... (good for you!) -G3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at it this way - you are perfect on your college picks. A good way to stay that way would be to quit now.

    NFL Playoffs? Can't really say I care. Don't remember having less interest in this stuff. Maybe it's the drop-off from last year. Went out to eat yesterday instead of watching game one.

    Ready to return to a sport in which players don't jump, gyrate, point and celebrate routine plays.

    On to spring training with Dejon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the lack of comments indicate a similar lack of interest in the NFL Playoffs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was no lack of interest by me relative to the NFL play-offs over the week-end. Although three of the four games were "laughers", the Jets vs Chargers game made up for the lack of competitiveness in the first three games. It might be that my interest in the Jets game is due to my living in the New York market. TV, radio and newspapers are "wall-to-wall" Jets coverage. You can't help being caught up in the excitement that has been created by the Jets success. Like Bill, however, I'm virtually counting the days until pitchers and catchers report.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am counting down the days 'til pitchers and catchers report (I believe wea re 31 for the Pirates), but am NOT planning another "Countdown" gimmick.

    ReplyDelete