Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday Fish Fry and, Yes, Curling

Tonight Marilyn and I began what will be a Lenten long quest: a different Fish Fry every Friday night in Lent. This evening we hit St. Theresa of Avila in Perrysville. We called ahead for take out rather than wait in a Disney-like line to be seated. I gave the fish sammitch an "A." The clam chowder gets a "D." If they had advertised it as potato soup, it would have gotten an "A."

As we once again the dog-eat-dog world of Olympic Curling, the big news today is that both the USA women's and men's squad notched their first victories of the Games. I was able to watch the final four ends of the men's exciting 4-3 win over France, despite the fact that France controlled the Hammer in the 10th end!!!!

The even bigger news is that USA Curling made the decision to not only relieve John Shuster at the all-important skip position, but they sent him to the bench. He never even made it to the ice!! According to the announcer, the Internet curling message boards are abuzz with the decision, both pro and con. (Must admit that I have not searched out these sites.) You had to feel bad for the guy watching from the bench as the young kid who replaced him came through in the 9th and 10th for the USA. I guess the torch has been passed.

2 comments:

  1. We, too, attend a fish fry each Friday in Lent.
    Last night was no exception. Met with some of Jerry's relatives at a place called German Central in Olmsted Falls. Fish was not so good but the company was.
    Next week we will attend our parish fish fry.
    Really look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that I have not been able to warm up to Curling. I've tried to watch it (it seems to be the only sport on CNBC) but it does nothing for me. The only thing I've found interesting is that each player (curler??) wears two different type shoes - one smooth soled and the other with very small cleats.

    ReplyDelete