Saturday, February 27, 2010

One Last Time - A Curling Commentary


All hail Skip Kevin Martin and the Canadian Men for nailing down the Curling Gold Medal tonight in a 6-3 win over Norway. I started out writing these posts on curling with tongue in cheek, but after these two weeks, and especially watching the two Gold Medal matches, I need to give a Hats Off to the curlers. I actually enjoyed watching these matches. I was disappointed to see the Canadian Women lose last night, and was happy for Kevin Martin and his mates when they won tonight.


One thing that the Olympics can show you is that "sports" is not just baseball, football, and basketball. If you watched the curling match tonight and heard the crowd begin to sing "O, Canada" near the end of the match as it became apparent that the Canadians would win, well, that, to use a cliche, is what sports are all about!


And a shout out also goes out to American Skip John Schuster who was interviewed at halftime of the final match. He laughed about the notoriety that he has received over the last two weeks and said that if that brings attention to curling, then that's fine with him. He said that he loves curling and if this can get others into the sport, then that's a great thing.


I take back all my John Schuster/Ralph Branca analogies.


No doubt this will be my last thoughts on curling until 2014, but when they fire up the torch in Sochi, I will be tuned in to the curling event.

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy you enjoyed curling as much as you did at these Olympic games in Vancouver. I admit that I "tried" watching curling but this sport could not sustain my interest or attention. My favorites at these games were hockey (both men and women) and the short track ice skate racing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started watching curling after reading one of you posts and found myself actually liking it. I still don't know the rules. Was quite moved by the spontaneous singing of 'O Canada' in the 9th round.

    The game of 'the games' is starting in a few minutes. US vs CA men's ice hockey for the gold.

    ReplyDelete