Sunday, August 26, 2012

Book Review: "This Is Where I Leave You"

I normally confine my fiction reading to mysteries and thrillers, and don't usually read "serious novels", but after reading this 2009 book by Jonathan Tropper, perhaps I should widen my scope a bit.

The story is told by Judd Foxman, a guy in his mid-thirties whose marriage has recently fallen apart and he has also lost his job (he caught his wife sleeping with his boss!!).  Not only that, his father has just died, and he has learned that his father's last request was that his family sit shiva for him, so now Judd will be confined for the next seven days with his mother, sister, two brothers, and assorted in-laws, girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, neighbors and others from his past.  Lots of personal demons and skeletons in the family closet to confront in the course of one week.  The book deals with serious issues, yet can be very, very funny.  Anyone who has ever dealt with "family issues" would most certainly identify with parts of this book. 

 I was not aware of Jonathan Tropper when I found this book as a Kindle Deal of the Day selection, but some Googling has told me that he has published five other novels in addition to this one, and I know that I will be checking them out as well.  It's always great when you discover a new author that you like.

Word is that a movie based on this book and starring Jason Bateman and Goldie Hawn will begin shooting this fall, and that is a movie that I would look forward to seeing.  I think that Hawn will be terrific in the role of the mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment