Monday, August 13, 2012

Game Room Olympics III


While the Summer Olympics were drawing to a conclusion, an equally momentous event took place in Wexford this past Friday: the Third Annual Game Room Olympics (GRO).  The GRO are a product of the product of the genius mind of friend John Frissora, and with this third edition, the Games are proving to be a highlight of the sporting year for those lucky enough to receive invitations.   The GRO consist of seven events: golf chipping, poker, darts, table hockey, pool, slot car racing, and, new for GRO III, table shuffleboard.

The day officially got under way when the torchbearer, Kentucky Derby winner I'll Have Another and his jockey, Mario Gutierrez, arrived with the Olympic torch.




After the reciting of the Game Room Olympics oath, the torch was lit.



Fourteen Olympians took part in the Games this year, and while we all remember that the honor is in competing, not winning, I have to say that while I still have yet to earn a trophy as a Top Three finisher overall, I was very happy with my performance this year.  I just missed qualifying for the knockout round in slot cars, I blew my chance in golf chipping when my final shot clanged off of young Clayton Frissora's swing set (fortunately, Clay was not playing on it at the time), and I was eliminated early in pool and table hockey. I went 0-3 in hockey, although I did manage to score one goal in one of the games.  Three years in, and I have yet to come even close to winning a table hockey game.

On the plus side, I managed to earn GRO "hardware" (trophies) with third place finishes in poker and shuffleboard, and a fourth place finish in darts.  Here I am with the esteemed GRO Commissioner receiving the hardware.



It was great day, and lots of fun.  Many thanks go out to John for hosting this great event.

GRO IV is set for August 9, 2013, and admit it, you know that you want to be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment