Monday, August 20, 2012

Welcome to the 20th Century, Augusta National




The news has arrived today that the seeming final bastion of male supremacy, The Augusta National Golf Club, has announced that two women, former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice and South Carolina businesswoman Darla Moore, have been admitted to full membership in the Club.  Depending on your viewpoint, this is either a great day, perhaps made a little less so since it took so long for it to happen, or this is the end of the world as you know it. As for me, well, I say it's about time (my headline is NOT a misprint), and I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see if Hootie Johnson will hold the doors open for Ms. Rice and Ms. Moore on their way into the Grill Room.  I also am getting a real chuckle picturing Clifford Roberts spinning like a high speed lathe in his grave.

Kudos to National Chairman Billy Payne for finally making this happen, and allow me to refer you to esteemed golf writer Steve Eubanks for more informed commentary on how Payne pulled it off.




No comments:

Post a Comment