Sunday, August 26, 2012

Special Guest Blogger: Dan Bonk

In a rare move, I am turning over The Grandstander for one post only to a Guest Blogger, my friend, fellow SABR member, breakfast companion, occasional golf partner, author, fellow Central alumnus, and the Voice of the Montour High School Marching Band, Dan Bonk.  Dan put this post out on the "Pirate Chat" Facebook page yesterday, and I think it is one of the most cogent analysis of the 2012 Pirates season that I have read so far, by either a professional reporter or columnist, or by anyone with a keyboard and access to any of the various social media platforms.  With his permission, here is Dan's post (unedited):

I honestly believe that as long as the Pirates end this season above .500, which I think is a good bet at this point, it should be viewed as a great success. Here's some reason I think this way.

1) Finishing with a winning record takes the monkey off this team's back.

2) The most important question coming into the season for the team involved Alvarez and his future. Though we can't say for sure that Alvarez will be a star, we can say for sure that he isn't an absolute bust. That's important. On April 30 of this year, that question was still up in the air.

3) Catcher - We know Barajas isn't the answer and maybe neither is the Fort, but the latter is certainly an up an comer. Considering the entire organization was practically bereft of major league caliber catching, the Fort gives us some breathing room until we develop one of our own.

4) Neil Walker is a stud - offensively and defensively. He proved it this year with a career year. We have to sign him. Maybe most importantly he helped me forget about Freddie Sanchez, a nice hitter, average fielding 2nd baseman who definitely spent too much time in the ice tub. In my opinion a legitimate No. 5 batter.

5) Andrew McCutcheon may not be this year's MVP, but he is another guy who had a career year. A legitimate No. 3 or 5 batter.

6) Garrett Jones is strictly a platoon guy, but he is having a career year. He's the kind of platoon guy that winning teams have.

7) AJ is not a long term solution, but he is a true team leader and we should be happy to have him one more season.

8) McDonald - took a big step forward this year. I think he simply ran out of gas. Next year him and Alvarez will be the two biggest question marks again, but not to see if they will bust. No we will be watching to see if they can advance.

9) Snider - a great pick-up as far as I'm concerned. He might bust next year, but he has upside, bats left and plays the outfield. For 20 years the Pirates haven't even had many guys with real upside, just a series of, dare I say their names, Cedeno, Milledge and Delwyn Young. Yuck! We have to hope he becomes a Garrett Jones who also can hit left handers. That would be great.

10) Starling Marte - Perfect for PNC Park in either CF or LF.

11) Jeff Karstens - has proved to me that he is a legitimate 4 or 5 starter on any team in MLB.

With all of that and the Bucs pitching prospects in the minors, the future for once is bright.

Now that all being said I'm getting real close to jumping off the Band Wagon for this season. You'll know that happened when I post simply "Go Steelers!" on this page. Not yet however. I am going to the game again tonight and i will sitting in Section 312 with the other 99 percenters.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    May I play 'devil's advocate? Or at least give my opinion on Dan's Blog?

    1) While finishing over .500 is great for this team, this was not the team's goal as stated many times. They were shooting for much more. And so far they have accomplished that. But I think if they finish the year on a 'sour' note and miss the playoffs but finish over .500, it will be looked at as a failure by most fans and the media. Now if they were hopelessly out of it and finished strong and above .500, that would be looked as a stepping stone to better things to come.

    2) Alvarez is what he is. He is an Adam Dunn type. Or showing my age, a Dave Kingman type. He will hit 30+ homers and strikeout 175+ times, while hitting .240. I have no problem with that. He will carry your team for a few weeks. And he will kill you for the next few weeks.

    3) Barajas is not the answer and we won't see him next year. While I think McKenry is a solid backup, he will never be able to be a 120 game man. There is nothing in the farm system. And no I don't think Tony Sanchez will ever amount to anything. Another terrible draft choice. Don't get me started on the farm system, draft choices and Neal Huntington.

    4) I also believe the Pirates need to sign Walker long term. He is a very good player. Plus a local kid done good. Good story and bad P.R. if you let him go. BTW another fine evaluation of a player by Huntington.

    5) Cutch is a superstar in the making. If he could only learn how to steal bases. Haha. Your 'star' plain and simple. You just have to keep him happy. Meaning do something at the trade deadline to maybe put your team over the top next time you are in a pennant race. Hopefully you are.

    6) No problems with Garrett Jones. He is being used the way he should be.

    7) I was so wrong about Burnett. Thought he would tank and be a waste. For this I do give Huntington credit. A.J. may actually need to be extended.

    8) McDonald did take a big step forward. But you can't have your Number 2 starter 'running out of gas' in July. Needs some work. Though I do like him.

    9) Liked the pickup of Snider. I think he will only get better. Would like to see more of the power I know he has. But he is a lefthanded stick which this team desperately needs in this ballpark.

    10) Marte will be just fine. May not be a traditional leadoff man. But he will make this outfield so much better. We don't need any more starting outfielders. We are set.

    11) Karsten is a perfect fit for this team. He will give you his all. He will keep you in games. He seldom gets rocked. Another fine example of Huntington being clueless about player evaluation. How many years was Karstens taken off the 40 man roster, only to be invited to camp as a non-roster player, and end up in the Bucs rotation?

    As for the 'prospects' in the minors.....I will express my thoughts at a later date.

    I may post a few other thoughts of my own if allowed when I have calmed down.

    Thanks Bob and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al, your comments are always welcome. I agree with you on #1. Eighty-two wins was a lofty goal at the beginning of the season, but could be viewed as a disappointment in light of where they were in mid-July. 82 wins now would mean that they finished the season by going 14-26 over their last 40 games, and that will be a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete