Monday, June 11, 2018

Tony Awards Post Mortem

First and foremost, kudos to Bill Montrose for going 7-3 on his annual Tony Awards predictions.  There is a reason why he is The Official Broadway Correspondent to The Grandstander.  More on his Great White Way acumen later.

We watched the entire show live from beginning to end last night, and, frankly, found it to be a bit slow and boring.  I think the main reason for that is that the performance that were featured were from shows that we currently have no interest in seeing ("Mean Girls", "Once On This Island" etc).  Let's face it, there was no "Hamilton" in this bunch of shows.

And a comment about the Bruce Springsteen performance.  I found it interesting that while his "Springsteen on Broadway" show was not nominated for a Tony, it was none the less given a "special" Tony Award, anyway.  Huh?  Sounds like CBS might have put the fix in so as to assure that they could promote a Bruce Springsteen appearance on the telecast.  I will also say that while I am a big fan of Bruce Springsteen - I have seen him perform three times and would go again in the drop of a hat to see him in concert - based on what I have heard and what I saw last night, I'm not so sure I'd want to see this B'way show of his.  Looked like it would be an exercise in self-therapy for him, and do I really need to see that? Of course, if someone wants to give me a ticket.....

Back to the Tonys.  The big winner in the musical category was "The Band's Visit".  It won ten Tonys overall, including Best Musical, Best Score, and three acting awards.



All of this was foreseen and predicted by Our Man Montrose in this space back on November 16, 2017:


While you will read that Bill "liked (but) did not love" this show, he also praised effusively the work of composer David Yazbek and Lead Actress Katrina Lenk and stated flatly: "Look for The Band's Visit to win many Tony Awards."

Like I said, that's why he is this Blog's Official Broadway Correspondent.

No comments:

Post a Comment