Saturday, January 9, 2010

A New Reading Experience


Last night I finished reading the novel "U is for Undertow" by Sue Grafton. This was the latest, #20, in Grafton's series featuring private investigator Kinsey Millhone. So, what's the big deal, you may ask, about reading just another detective yarn? The big deal is that this is the first book that I read in an electronic, digital version.

As background, a few months back my good buddy Judy Jones bought herself a Kindle, the "electronic book" developed and sold by Amazon. I thought it was pretty cool, ans iPod for books, as it were, and as time went on I decided to take the money I received in my final Highmark expense check and bought a retirement gift to myself, a Kindle. One trip to Meadville / Franklin and one trip to Butler and back will pretty much cover the cost of a Kindle for you.



The device certainly makes it easy to purchase books, and when your finished reading it you don't have to find a place on your shelves to put it, so that's pretty cool. I must confess that I did miss the tactile experience of actually holding an actual book in your hands. I think I can get used to it thought.

Speaking of books, I know that there are some books that would not lend themselves to a digital version, and that leads me to a book that I received for Christmas. I will write more on that book, and the debates that it might spark, in an upcoming Grandstander entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment