Monday, February 15, 2010

"The Fan" - Later in the Day

Caught some of the mid-day show on The Fan. The 10:00 to 2:00 show is called "Vinny and Cook" and features PG columnist Ron Cook and, some guy named Vinny.

Now Ron Cook is Ron Cook so we should all know what we're getting with him. Vinny is a newcomer to town, and he appears to have a New York accent, and both of these facts will no doubt cause the provincial Pittsburgh audience to not like him. However, in the 20-30 minutes that I heard while driving this afternoon, I have a good first impression of the guy. He describes himself as a huge baseball fan and can't wait to start going down to PNC Park on a regular basis, and he does not appear to be coming in with an I-hate-the-Nuttings-and-bobbleheads-and-fireworks attitude that the entrenched media (and first caller to the show that I heard) has.

I also caught a bit of the Siebel-and-Starkey afternoon drive time show. John Siebel comes to Pittsburgh from ESPN, so this is a pretty good "get" for KDKA-FM, it would seem. Again, he's gonna have to fight the "he's-not-a-Pittsburgh-guy" bias that many will have for him. As for Joe Starkey, if you read him in the Trib and listened to his Saturday morning talk show that was on 1250, well, I think you gotta like him. This show could be the best of the daytime shows on The Fan.

One bit of info I gleaned from one of these shows today - can't remember which one - is the fact that Fred Shero needs to make a trade for a "Stay-at-Home" defenseman. So there. I think they need to make a trade for a sniper who can put the biscuit in the basket.

3 comments:

  1. Update: "Vinny" is Vinny Richichi, and his last assignment ws in Seattle. As I said, at first blush, I like the guy and will give this show further listenings.

    Comments on Bob Smizik's blog are killing the morning show with Alexander & Burton and giving good marks to Vinny and Cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside to Dave: Wasn't Vinny Richichi one Vito's crew in Season Five of The Sopranos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    Good job. I enjoyed it a great deal. I do believe that you are correct about Vinny's former job.

    Jim H.

    ReplyDelete