Friday, February 5, 2010

The New Radio Station in Town

I guess sports fans here in Pittsburgh are all abuzz with excitement over the debut on February 15 of "The Fan" a new 24-hour sports talk radio station on KDKA-FM (93.7 on the dial). The twist here is that the programming will be all local. No nationally syndicated yakkers talking about the NBA....no Jim Rome....no Colin Cowherd....just all Pittsburgh Yinzer sports talk. I can just hear the first call:

"Hey, I think the Stillers should get ridda Bruce Arians and run the ball more n'at. Whadda yinz think?"

The other good news is that the mid-day, 10:00 to 2:00 host will be the Post-Gazette's Ron Cook. Now instead of reading Cook's joyful prose two or three days a week, we can now LISTEN to him on the radio every day. How great is that going to be???? I put the over/under on four shows until we hear how stupid the Pirates were for putting Saint Jim Leyland in the position where he had no choice but to take his Marlboros and run out on his contractual obligations and leave Pittsburgh.

I also predict that before the first week on the air is over, there will be at least two hours of time devoted to who the Steelers should draft three months from now.

Man, I can't wait!!

5 comments:

  1. Woah! Grandstander has revealed himself as a full-bore intellectual sports fan in this vitriolic spleen-venting.

    Give the poor station a chance.

    Or, are you merely posting an oblique effort to elicit support from your West Coast readership with the Rome reference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction, opening should read "sports snob" vs "sports fan". Had so many Google problems I lost my train of thought on second time through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, like YOU haven't experienced exasperation with the myriad calls about the poor offensive line play from the typical callers! And you KNOW I'm right about the Bruce Arians and NFL Draft calls that will occur.

    All that said, I certainly plan on listening to The Fan. When the choices in the afternoon are Joe Starkey, Scott Paulson, and Mark Madden...Starkey wins in a landslide!!!

    I'm not so sure about Ron Cook. I'll stick wit Stan and Guy during that time slot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few years ago, Kieth Jackson was doing a football game. After his color man read a promotion-tease for the upcoming episode of "Desperate Housewives", finishing with a wait-till-you-see question. Kieth commented, "I'll never know".

    That's me with all these call-in shows. I'll never know.

    I know a bit about sports snobbery myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob ... did you say 2 hours (during the first week)? How about 10 hours a day! Sports talk radio is tough to avoid, especially if you're in the car a lot. Philly's terrible sports talk 610 actually drives me to the national station; I can almost (not quite) listen to Cowhwerd. Seriously, the local feed spends 2 out of every 3 hours - EVERY DAY - trashing Donovan McNabb; (the other hour goes to trashing Andy Reid. They don't call it "Nega-delphia" for nothing!

    ReplyDelete