Monday, March 22, 2010

The Godfather Part 2


As promised in last night's post, tonight we watched "The Godfather Part II." While some say that this was a better movie than the original, I can't agree. Part II is a great movie in and of itself, but not as good as "The Godfather." My opinion. What everyone can agree on is that this is easily the greatest sequel to a movie ever made.


Great acting in this with Al Pacino giving a tour de force performance, and an excellent job by a young Robert DeNiro as the young Vito Corleone in the flashbacks.


As was the case with the first movie, lots of classic lines in this movie:


"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."


"This is the business we've chosen."


"You broke my heart, Fredo. You broke my heart."


"My father's name was Antonio Andolini, and THIS is for you."


"I don't know nothin' about that. I was in the olive oil business with his father."


Now, it is inevitable that "The Godfather Part III" get popped into the DVD player. While this movie gets pretty much dismissed by the critics, I liked it, although it does suffer in comparison with the first two flicks (thanks in large part to the performance of Sofia Copola).

6 comments:

  1. Switching media platforms for a momemt, the flags are half-mast today in the Isle of Malta with the passing of Baron Mikel Scicluna. Hopefully, he and Captain Lou can reunite and follow The Grandstander.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the "Carolina Connection" can see Bill E in his large-peaked cap and overalls as they dodge tennis balls launched, curiously, from his section of the Civic Arena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit my ignorance. I have no idea who Baron Mikel Scicluna is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, you are not the only one. Mikel was a wrestler, as was Captain Lou Albano. My comment addresses Bill Evans' garb at an arena wrestling match to which we took our sons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In keeping with the subject themes and further mind enhancements, when Captain Lou Albino wasn't overseeing and guiding the careers of The Moondogs or The Mongols (Bepo & Geeto), he first rose to national prominence in the late fifties as part of a tag team known as The Sicilians with the late Tony Altimore.

    War Gaels!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don Corleone Sproule!

    You have allowed 2 out of the 3 Bill's, albiet; both loyal follower's, to take over your column!

    This little puppy had to go to an outside source to see what/who I was reading. I'm glad I was not alone---thanks Jim, for also admitting failure to recognize these names.

    Don, real back your column to something I actually know. Granted, this is a VERY, VERY limited area......(Hey, if the Bills' can change the subject...yesterday, was the 20th year anniversary of the debut of the movie "Pretty Woman." I'm sure we all know what that movie was about!!)

    Are you going to watch the Masters?

    ReplyDelete