Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Willlie Mays Book


A few weeks back, I mentioned that a new biography of Willie Mays was to be published. The book is"Willie Mays, the Life, the Legend" by James Hirsch, and I have just finished reading it. It is the first serious bio of Mays and it was written with Willie's cooperation, but it is not a puff piece, by any means. If you are a baseball fan, I highly recommend this book to you. It is really a well written book, and it reinforced, for me at least, that Mays was the greatest ballplayer of his generation, certainly the greatest player that I've seen in my lifetime.


I would like to list highlights of some of the great stories recounted in the book, but they are just too numerous to mention.


Just read the book. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment