Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Beatles Greatest Songs

I think that we could all agree that a question that is all but impossible to answer is "What is your favorite Beatles Song?" I mean, how can you possible pick just one? (The same logic can also be applied to the songs of Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley, but I digress.) What prompts this is a Rolling Stone Magazine publication that hit the newsstands this past week called "The Beatles 100 Greatest Songs."

I love stuff like this because such lists are entirely subjective, can prompt arguments and discussion, are interesting to read, and, in this case, send you right to the ol' iPod to listen to all of your Beatles music, and how can that be a bad thing?

Anyway, here are the Top 10, according to Rolling Stone:
  1. A Day in the Life - I suppose that, musically speaking, this might be one of the Beatles' more intricate and interesting works, but is this one you sing to yourself as you are walking down the street?
  2. I Want to Hold Your Hand - as the song that launched Beatlemania in the USA, this no doubt belongs on the list.
  3. Strawberry Fields Forever - no argument here.
  4. Yesterday - did you know that this is the most recorded of all Beatles' songs? It has been recorded by over 2,500 different artists.
  5. In My Life - a great song. Listen to it and be amazed to think that John Lennon was only 25 years old when he wrote it.
  6. Something - no less than Frank Sinatra called this the "greatest love song of the past 50 years."
  7. Hey, Jude - this song was number one in the USA longer than any other Beatles song. I wouldn't put it in my Top Ten, though.
  8. Let It Be - written and recorded as the band was breaking up.
  9. Come Together - the last song that all four of the group cut together.
  10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - a great song written by Harrison, but not sure I would have it in the Top 10.

How can you leave out songs like A Hard Day's Night (11), Norwegian Wood (12), She Loves You (14), Help (15), Please Please Me (20), Eleanor Rigby (22), Here There and Everywhere (25), Can't Buy Me Love (29), Penny Lane (32), Blackbird (38), Get Back (41), Love Me Do (87), and Hello, Good-bye (100)? I mean, how can Hello Good-bye be listed as #100? This would be in MY top 10!

See what I mean about how much fun this can be?

I once heard a pundit say that if we could magically make the Beatles appear and give live concerts, you could go one night and hear them perform 25 songs, and you could go back the second night and hear them do 25 completely different songs, and you would be equally satisfied both nights. I think that's true and there aren't many artists that you could say that about.

So, what do all of you think?

1 comment:

  1. I like your concept of the two "25 Equal Satisfaction Concerts" ... and I agree with it.
    Rolling Stones' top 10 is pretty damn accurate. Personally, I'd put Eleanor Rigby in there, and ditch "I want to hold your hand", 1st hit notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete