Friday, January 14, 2011

Week 2, NFL Playoffs - Predictions

Well, I went 2-2 last week, which means I'm losing money if I'm betting in a real sports book. Need to recover this weekend.

Ravens at Steelers. Has any cliche been left unturned in the lead-up discussion and writing about this game? Maybe you've heard a few: This is a blood rivalry....this will be a hard hitting game that will be won in the trenches....these two teams just plain don't like each other...two real blue collar teams banging heads on Saturday...and on and on and on. Well, this no doubt will be a terrific ballgame, possibly the best of the four that will be played this weekend. Based on recent games in the series, it will be a low scoring game, it will no doubt be a close game, and it will, dare I say it, be hard hitting and won in the trenches. I will refrain from saying that it will be won by whichever team wants it more, because, really, does any NFL team NOT want to win a game that they are playing? While I wouldn't be shocked if Baltimore wins, I am going to pick the Steelers in this one for the simple reason that they have the better quarterback. Ben gets it done - again - against the Ravens.

Here's an interesting thing to ponder which I just heard on 93.7 The Fan from Steelers Cheerleader Deluxe Bob Pompeani. If this is indeed a close game and it comes down to a drive at the end of the game for one team to win, what would you rather have: the Steelers defense on the field protecting a 3 point lead, or the Steelers offense on the field trying to overcome a three point deficit? I guess it's always better to have the lead, but based on recent Steelers history, I think I'd go with Roethlisberger driving the team to a victory at the end. What are your thoughts?

Packers at Falcons. This is a tough one to call, and it has the potential to be a close and good game, much like the Steelers game that precedes it. My instincts tell me to take Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, but I am going to play a hunch that the supreme home field advantage that Matty Ice and the Falcons have enjoyed over the past two seasons will prevail. The Falcons to
win a close one.

Seahawks at Bears. I am not a Jay Cutler fan. I think he is a whiney little punk who is a numbers hanger and that makes him a god amongst fantasy footballers. I also see that the clock will strike midnight for the Seahawks, and that their dream run will end at Soldier Field. The Bears will win, but the "Cutler Factor" will make it a close game.

Jets at Patriots. After last week, the Jets have made believers out of me. Despite a poor first half from Mark Sanchez, they thoroughly earned and deserved that win over the Colts, and I have to give the Loudmouth his due, Rex Ryan knows how to coach his team for a big game. However, they aren't going to beat the Patriots on Sunday, and barring a key injury (meaning "Tom Brady goes down"), I can't see anyone beating New England the rest of the way. The Jets may make it interesting for a half, but I see the Patriots pulling away with a fairly comfortable win.

There you have it. Steelers, Falcons, Bears, and Patriots to win this weekend. As always, watch, but don't bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment