Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Final Look Back

Before we get into the important "stuff" of everyday life that have and will continue to populate this blog in 2011, allow me to take a final look back at 2010.

When I look back at the sixty calendar years that have comprised my life thus far, the one that really stands out is 1974. In that year, I managed to finish college, land my first "real" job, buy my first car, move away from my parents and get my first apartment, move to a new city, saw the Pirates win their division and the Steelers march toward their first Super Bowl championship, and, oh yeah, get married (and marrying Marilyn Moellenbrock remains to this day, the single best and smartest thing I have ever done!). As calendar years go, it's hard to top 1974.

However, I am going to have to put 2010 right behind it in the pecking order of all-time great years, a first ballot Hall of Fame kind of year.

The year began with me recovering from December back surgery and beginning my retirement from 35 years in the work force and 22 years with Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield. While I knew that I was "ready" to retire, and was very excited about it, there is always some anxiety when you take such a huge step. The year proceeded, and here are some of the highlights:
  • At the Easter Vigil on April 3, months of study and preparation came to a beautiful conclusion at St. John Neumann Church and Marilyn came into the Catholic Church. That entire process was very emotional for us both, and it remains the highlight of our year, maybe even the highlight of all our years together. And the messages of support that Marilyn received from both of our families and friends during the process is something that we will always cherish.
  • In June and July, we sold our home of 25 years on Field Club Drive and moved to our new home in Stonebrook Village. Readers of this blog are well aware of that entire adventure, so I won't restate all of it here once again. Suffice to say that we still have to pinch ourselves to believe how fortunate we are to be in our new place.
  • We both became involved in volunteer work. Marilyn at Passavant Hospital and with the Good Shepard program at St. John Neumann, me at the Heinz History Center, and both of us at the Highmark Caring Place. Believe me, we are no heroes for doing this, but we have found a reward unlike anything we have ever experienced in doing these things. The first President Bush talked about the "thousand points of light" and encouraged volunteerism to help your communities, and after doing something like that for the first time in my life, I can tell you that H.W. had it right. Everybody should think about doing something. You will get back more out of it than you will ever give, believe me.
  • The December '09 back surgery was successful to the point that I feel better physically than I have felt for as long as I can remember, so thank God for that! On the other hand, in March I was visited by an old bug-a-boo, kidney stones, that required some outpatient surgery to relieve the problem. If you have ever experienced kidney stones, you know how miserable I was. If you've never had them, be thankful for your good fortune and pray that you never do.
  • Despite the kidney stone adventure, we have both experienced good health, as has all of our family and friends. We have enjoyed many great times this past year on several mini-vacations, our annual Outer Banks trip, staying in touch with old friends, becoming reacquainted with some older friends, and making new ones. Fortunately, all have come through the year in good health as well.
  • I got to play a lot of golf this year, although the move in summer curtailed some of that. I especially enjoyed playing with my great-nephews, and one of my great-nieces, on occasions.
  • Saw sixteen Pirates games. OK, so not all of my 2010 experiences can be classified as "great." Despite all the frustrations that they give you - and regular readers have heard all about them - I'll still be going back to PNC Park this summer. What can I say? I saw my first Pirates game in 1959, and they are a part of my DNA. I couldn't stop if I wanted to. Besides, someday, they will be good again, and I will have my seat on the bandwagon when the Johnny-come-latelies try to jump on.

And on January 8, The Grandstander was born. He posted 335 time during 2010, and it has been a lot of fun to do this. Who would have predicted that the postings that drew the most comments concerned sloppy baseball uniforms and curling?!?!? I didn't know when I began if I would enjoy it, or if people would read, but I do enjoy it, and people do, apparently, read it. I continue to encourage you to comment on the blog, or to join Facebook (you can find me and "friend" me there) and comment on The Grandstander there as well, as several people do. I'll still be giving my thoughts on the Pirates, movies, the Pirates, TV, the Steelers, the Pirates, books that I have read, things at the Heinz History Center, and, once in awhile, I might even write about the Pirates.

Thanks to all of you for being here!!

A prosperous and healthy 2011 to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment